If you like this recipe and want to show some support please leave a comment below or visit my Ko-Fi account to donate! x
Simple Pasta Puttanesca (Gluten Free, Vegan)
This delicious but simple pasta puttanesca is so easy to make and is packed full of lovely, rich flavours.
I only ate puttanesca in a restaurant for the first time a few years ago meaning that I have only ever eaten gluten free versions of this dish! It is one I really enjoy because of how quick and simple it is to make, therefore, I wanted to create a vegan version so I could continue eating it.
One of the key parts of puttanesca is the salty flavour from the anchovies, obviously to make this fish free I had to come up with a good alternative flavour wise and, after some experimenting, found that capers and soy sauce make a great substitute. If you are not vegan and are simply looking for a gluten free simple pasta puttanesca recipe then you could could add some anchovies into this recipe. If you do this then you may want to omit the capers and soya sauce in case these flavours are overpowering, however, it is completely up to you.
With it being so quick to throw together it makes the perfect weekday dinner if you don’t have a great deal of time or energy to cook. I like this meal topped with a little sprinkle of dairy free style parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast but this is completely optional.
If you like this simple pasta dish you may like my easy Lentil Bolognese recipe or my Creamy Red Pesto recipe which you can find here.
- 150g 1 + 1/2 cups gluten free pasta
- 2 handfuls spinach
- 1 handful dairy free parmesan style cheese (optional)
- 1 red pepper
- 3 tbsp tomato puree
- 3 tbsp gluten free soy sauce
- 2 tbsp capers
- 2 tbsp pitted black olives
- 2 cloves garlic
- a few sprigs fresh basil
- pinch sea salt
- pinch black pepper
- splash olive oil
- Add the pasta to a pan of boiling water and cook until soft
- While the pasta is cooking, roughly chop the pepper, olives and garlic and add to a second pan along with a splash of olive oil
- Once the peppers begin to soften add the spinach, capers, tomato puree and soy sauce to the pan and stir well
- Drain the pasta, leaving a little bit of water at the bottom, (the starchy liquid will mix with the tomato puree and form the sauce that will coat the pasta), and add to the pan containing the rest of the ingredients
- Mix well, season with sea salt and black pepper to taste and serve topped with a few leaves of fresh basil